The Sydney school is our busiest school offering 7 classes a week:
Acoustic, Classical, Flamenco, and Electric guitar, plus Violin and Cello making courses.
These weekly classes run 46 weeks of the year, places are typically booked out many months in advance.
For the average student who has no prior woodworking experience it takes
22 – 30 (Acoustic/Violin/Cello)
15 – 20 (Electric Guitar / Bass)
sessions to complete a typical acoustic guitar in the Sydney weekly guitar making course.
Some of the timbers available include: Indian and Brazilian Rosewood, Snakewood, Cocobolo, Ebony, Zebrawood, Tasmanian Blackwood, Tasmanian Myrtle, Honduras Mahogany, Maple, Walnut, Spanish Cypress, plus aged old growth Spruce and Cedar soundboards.
There is also short intensive courses held at times throughout the year, as well as “Luthiers Sessions” short half day courses on a variety of luthier topics
The Sydney School contains:
- 200sq Metres of Guitar Making Awesomeness
- Laguna machinery
- Veritas, Lie-Neilsen, and Stanley Bailey hand tools
- 7x Benches with Dawn Vices
- A stash of master grade tonewoods
Instruments YOU can make:
- Acoustic Steel String guitar: Parlor, 0, 00, 000, or OM styles with or without cutaway, either Falcate or “X” braced.
- Classical or Flamenco guitar: Traditional fan bracing, Radial bracing, or Lattice bracing with carbon fibre
- Electric solid body Guitar: Many ‘off the shelf’ designs to choose from, or design your own shape and style.
- Orchestral: Violin, Viola, or Cello.
- Plus short courses on Tube amp making, and effects pedal making.
Cost is $120 per 4hour session, for this you get your own bench, access to all tools / machinery / plans / timbers, and expert tuition to guide even the complete novice every step of the way to make your fine instrument.